February 14, 2013

My first DNS

For those of you that don't speak runnerd, that's "did not start."

Last Saturday, Trea and I were supposed to run as a couple in the Valentine's 8K race. We had 5 miles on our training plan to run that day, so I thought this little race would be the perfect training run. It was right by our house and didn't start until 9 a.m., AND we got awesome long sleeve tech pullovers.

I've never missed a race due to anything other than injury before, but a few days before the race, I got an email saying the location and start time had changed. It was no longer close to our house, and the new start time was 7 a.m. SEVEN! On a Saturday!

I picked up our packets the day before and was prepared to get up at stupid-thirty to run with my Valentine. But after a long, stressful week at work, when the alarm went off that morning, I just didn't have it in me. I slept in. DNS. When I don't get enough sleep, I transform into a demon. And when I get really, really tired, I get a cold. I would totally be the first to die in the Hunger Games because I need my beauty rest to be able to function.


When I woke up around 9:00, I saw tons of tweets about how much fun the race had been, and I felt like a loser for skipping it. I had to email the race director to find out where to return our time chips, and was so ashamed to hit send on that message.

Trea and I both ran an 8K that day -- by ourselves and on our own schedule. That's the beauty of being childless. I can wake up when I want and run when I want. It was my best 5 miles since I returned from injury. But the worst part about missing this race -- THE SHIRT ACTUALLY FITS! Of all the races I've ever run, all the shirts are unisex sized and swallow my petite frame. Before this, I only had one race shirt I could wear because I got a youth large. Even my marathon shirt -- the one I sweated for 6 months to get and suffered a broken bone for -- looks like I'm wearing Trea's clothes.

But this Valentine's pullover is amazing. I would show you a picture, but it's in the hamper because I want to run in it every day. This race actually had women's and men's sizes! So my shirt is simply perfect. But I didn't run the race. I DID run the distance that day...just not with the group. Does that count?

Have you ever missed a race because getting good rest was more important? Have you ever worn a shirt for a race you didn't run?

3 comments:

  1. It happens. I think of te song by Brad Paisely, Time Well Wasted. Some mornings, enjoying a few extra hours warm in bed with the one you love is just what you need. (Human AND puppy snuggles are both healing!)

    And a well fitting race shirt? That's like a rainbow colored unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not normally wear shirts for a race I did not run. I don't wear shirts for concerts I have not been to, so the concert rule applies. That being said, I have been wearing my NYC Marathon shirt from this year. I wear it more out of solidarity with all the runners that showed up and were disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I would totally be the first to die in the Hunger Games" - Bahahahahahaha

    Bummer that you weren't able to run it, but I might have done the same if they moved things on me the week of! Go figure the shirt fits! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...