January 18, 2012

Status: Injured

Hey, remember me? I've been busy learning new words lately...like piriformis, gracilis, and iliopsoas. 

I have a hip injury. 

I've had issues with my hip since college. When I started running last year, that aggravated the problem, but it's never kept me from running. Until now. My piriformis and everything around it is all angry and tight, and I haven't run since New Year's weekend. For the last couple of weeks, I've been limping around with some serious, constant hip pain. 


Since I can't run, I've had to learn to cross train and try anything and everything for recovery. I've spent time on the bike trainer watching John Hughes movies, I've seen my chiropractor more often than I care to think about, I've had 4 massages in 2 weeks, and I take every chance I get to stretch inappropriately in public. My hip is getting better, but not better enough to run just yet. 


Oh, and did I mention, the Little Rock Marathon that I'm supposed to be training for is about 6 weeks away? And I haven't run farther than 10 miles since the Memphis Marathon in early December. Things are not going well. 


I've also taken up aqua jogging to try to help my legs and lungs not forget what to do when it's time to run again. This is a new low. 



Aqua jogging is good for moving those running muscles, but it's nowhere near the same level of difficulty as actual running. I tried swimming instead just to get a better cardio workout, but I quickly remembered why I never finished swimming lessons when I was a kid. I swim like a rock, and I hate the water. But the good news is that flailing about and trying not to drown can still make for a decent workout. Luckily, I have a fantastic friend who isn't afraid to wear a floaty belt and has kept me company during pool rehab. 

So, the big question is, will my hip heal in time for me to train for Little Rock? I don't know. I kind of doubt it. My doctor said I can try running again when the pain is 100% gone, but it's not completely gone yet. But even when I do start back, he said not to go run any crazy long distance, like 6 miles or something. 6 miles?! Like that's far? My plan says 16 for this weekend. But I realize that's not going to happen. 

So I'm incredibly sad, disappointed, and all around frustrated with how things are going. The race I trained half a year for went horribly wrong, and Little Rock was supposed to be my do-over. My chance to get it right. But I just don't see how that can happen at this point. I know there are other races, and this shouldn't be a big deal. But I've already registered. The half is sold out, so I can't drop back to a shorter distance. Trea has registered for the full and is still planning to run. So have several of my friends. It's one thing to miss a race, but it's another thing to miss the race you chose that was your idea while you watch everyone else you know running it. And the Little Rock medal? Is HUGE. I want one. 

It's been a rough couple of weeks, but I'm trying to focus on the fact that I'm getting better, even though it's happening WAY too slowly. I'll just keep stretching and resting and we'll wait and see what happens. 

7 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain! I have a marathon in two weeks and have developed this pain in and around my knee a couple of weeks ago. You have to listen to your body and chances are that the running is not going to happen. I hope you get better soon and hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I am so sorry you are hurt. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Still super frustrating, I know.
    Only you can make the decision about Memphis. Allow yourself time to think about it...you don't have to decode today. Just please try to keep in mind that being healthy is your ultimate goal and there will be many more marathons to run. Although I know how much you had your heart set on this once since your first marathon was a disappointment to you. I for one still think you are completely BA for finishing a marathon as sick as you were!
    Hang in there. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very frustrating and disappointing! You are definitely doing an amazing job of keeping fit in the interim. I wish I had done the same when I got injured in 2010. Hang in there and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you're hurt! I sure hope it gets well in time for that race! It totally sucks to miss them :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya too honey! I have a metatarsal stress fracture, a toe that might need surgery, and achilles bursitis all on the same foot! I have been on crutches or a boot since first part of December. :( I am doing the Warrior Dash in May and have already signed up. I WILL do this race! ;) Foot heal please! Sorry honey...get better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just dropping by to say hi...and see how your hip is doing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...