September 5, 2011

We're in it together

Runners stick together. We form bonds and become part of a community without even realizing that it's happening.

Last week, when I had a mini-meltdown and threw myself a pity party, my runner friends came to my rescue. When I questioned everything that I'm doing, they -- you -- reminded me that everyone has rough moments, especially at the beginning of training. You reminded me that we're in this together and that all my exhaustion will be worth it when we cross the finish line in Memphis in December.

When I started running last year, I thought it was something I would do alone. It's not a team sport and it's up to me to decide when I run, how far and how fast. I thought it would be just me and the road. I couldn't have been more wrong. Through this blog, Twitter, Daily Mile -- the interwebs -- I have made new friends that have become dear friends. I've become part of the coolest club that's not a club. I am a runner.

On my early weekend long runs, I'm always struck by how many runners I see out on the road and how many of them smile, wave and say good morning, as though we know each other.

We know each other's pain.

Running is more difficult than anything I've ever attempted before. Physically, it's tough, and mentally, you learn what you're made of. You learn how to tell your brain to shut up when it's telling your legs to slow down or stop. And when you can't go any farther, another runner will be there to cheer you on. Because they know a day will come when they will need encouragement too.

So, thank you, runners. Thank you for reminding me that I'm strong enough to accomplish my goal. And thank you for reminding me that we're fighting the same battle -- on the same team.

1 comment:

  1. You speak the truth! I love running because you compete against yourself and do your very best. Training for your first marathon can be stressful. I went through this last year when I ran my first but you will get through it. Hang in there. You are doing a great job so far!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...